Chocolate is highly poisonous to dogs and cats, and can even be fatal! Make sure your selection boxes and other goodies stay somewhere they can’t reach at all times.
Alcohol can make our pets sick and dizzy, so be sure to keep it to yourself this Christmas.
Grapes and raisins
Grapes and raisins, found in sweet mince pies and Christmas pudding, can cause kidney failure in pets.
Xylitol is a sweetener, commonly found in sugar-free sweets, chewing gum, toothpaste, mouthwash and certain baked goods. Check labels of such items carefully, or better still, keep them away from your pet altogether.
Fine in small doses, but do be careful. Sausages, bacon and other fatty meats can cause stomach upsets, or even lead to obesity.
Nuts are a choking hazard, and some can make our pets vomit. Avoid feeding these to your pets, and take extra care when carrying a handful from one room to the other.
Onions, and other cooking essentials such as garlic and chives, can cause stomach damage to our pets. While you’re preparing meals over Christmas, you may want to keep them out of the kitchen… just in case.
Bones can cause a great deal of damage if they split, crack or get lodged somewhere they shouldn’t. As famous a dog treat as they might be, it’s often safer to choose something else.
Corn on the cob
Corn is difficult to digest, and the cob poses a choking hazard… once again, it’s better just to avoid this one altogether.
If you stick to vet-approved, pet-friendly treats, you can provide your pet with the best Christmas…. And risk-free, too!
If you’re concerned, or have any further questions, don’t hesitate to give us a call!